Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Where Two or Three are Gathered...

Although my surgery was scheduled for 11:00 a.m. yesterday, it ended up not beginning until 11:30 a.m. With the bowel prep I had the previous day (which means a liquid diet and NO food or water after midnight), it was a LONG waiting period for me.

I have to admit though that it wasn't that bad, especially when you have an ADD, impatient, and rather funny husband. David kept me entertained in the waiting room by taking blackmail pictures of me in my shower cap, reading my chart and pretending like he knew what it all meant, and CONSTANTLY peeking through the privacy curtain every time he heard our doctor's voice :) Although my hubby can be a handful sometimes, I appreciate his sense of humor and ability to always make me laugh!

All in all, the surgery took approximately 2 hours. A little longer than we expected. The doctor DID find a little bit of endometriosis and luckily was able to remove it ALL...thank the LORD! But while inside he discovered a few other things as well.
I was diagnosed by our FIRST doctor in 2006 as having a septate uterus...it's where your uterus is shaped like a heart, which can possibly result in a miscarriage when we do get pregnant. Unfortunately, our SECOND doctor conducted a water test on me and said that I DIDN'T have it. So we never did anything about it. When Dr. Fox, our current doctor, went in yesterday, he confirmed that I DID in fact have a septate uterus, so he corrected that while he was inside. He also discovered a malfunction with my fallopian tubes. Unfortunately, David didn't quite understand what Dr. Fox explained to him about my fallopian tubes (and I was still heavily medicated when he came in to explain the results) so I have already put in a call to his office for him to call me today and give me the specifics.

The bottom line is that because of my age and this problem with the tubes, Dr. Fox thinks we still need IVF if we plan to ever get pregnant on our own. Although I am a little disappointed by this diagnosis, I am confident that this surgery was the right move for us and believe that God can do the IMPOSSIBLE. Regardless, we WILL be parents one day...whether we are blessed with a biological baby or adopt a baby, we WILL experience the joys of parenthood.
I was extremely sick after the surgery and experienced the WORST nausea EVER. I got sick a few times at the hospital and even after getting home and sleeping a little of the anesthesia off, I still couldn't get up and walk around without feeling sick. I took some medication for the nausea and felt better around 9:30 p.m. and FINALLY had a bowl of soup and crackers...chicken noodle NEVER tasted so good :)
I have four tiny incisions on my belly...two on my left side, one on the right, and one on my bellybutton. The doctors used glue instead of stitches and I am expected to heal without any major scarring. I am EXTREMELY sore and am having a hard time rolling out of the bed to get up. The doctor gave me some pain medication and I am SO thankful for that!

As you can see I am writing this post at a VERY early hour...mainly because I woke up with pain at 2:30 this morning :(
I plan to do a lot of resting and let my hubby and my mother-in-love take care of me. I am so thankful that Dr. Fox was able to do this surgery before our teachers come back on Monday for preplanning. Although I have a TON of work to do to prepare for Monday, there isn't much I can't do from my laptop in my bed :)

Unfortunately, my hubby has to work today, so I asked my mother-in-love to come over and stay with me. She already made me promise her that if I wake up early today I wouldn't go out in the yard and start pulling weeds...HA! I do love gardening :) But, believe me, the pain is so severe, that this girl is not moving an INCH today!!!
Thank you so much for ALL the prayers and encouragement. I truly believe that "if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in Heaven, for where two or three come together in My name, there am I with them."~Matthew 18:19-20

Please continue to lift David and I up with prayers.  We are blessed to have SO many caring family and friends and could never go through this experience without being showered with all the love.

I will post again soon after I talk to the doctor today and get more details on my fallopian tubes.


Have a blessed day...I am already feeling blessed BEYOND measure!!!!

28 comments:

Heather Allen said...

Surgery is no fun. It sounds like it was pretty rough for bit. Hopefully you will be back to yourself in a few days. I am so glad some questions were answered! YAY!

Melissa said...

God was gracious in allowing you to get answers - why your doctors don't get it right the first time, I don't know but this doctor sounds like a gem!!

Natalie said...

I hope the pain subsides quickly. Praying for you and David's future baby.

queenoe said...

Your's was the one and only blog I HAD to open and check this morning! I am so thankful that your surgery went well, Dr. Fox did correct the uterus problem and that he will tell you more about the F Tubes. Rest, dear one! Rest in God's love, the continued prayers of many, and continue to rest in your blessings BEYOND measure! STAY ENCOURAGED! Love,Love,Love, Cherry
P.S. Waiting to see some of those blackmail pictures!

Karen At Home Blog said...

Hi Liana, I am so happy to hear that your surgery is over with and you were able to get some answers! It sounds like our infertility journeys are very similiar. I am also in my mid thirties and was diagnosed as unexplained infertilty for a few years. After exhausting all of our options, I decided to go ahead with the laproscopy surgery. My doctor also found mild endometriosis (Stage II). The surgery finally gave us the answers that we were looking for.
Once we were able to try again, we decided to try a cycle of Follitsim and IUI. We were finally blessed but unfortunately miscarried at 10 weeks. Once we were able able to try again, we repeated the same procedure of Follitstim and IUI. We were blessed again with our daughter. I completely understand what you are going through. I know I tweeted to you about this and would really love to answer any questions that you may have.

I know God will bless you very soon!!!

Now please go take care of yourself and let your mother-in-love wait on you! :)

Karen

Doodle Bugs said...

I hope the pain starts to go away and you feel more like yourself. You are such an open hearted person and I respect your postitive attitude and that you give God the glory in all that is happening and WILL happen! God bless you and David!

Rebecca Jo said...

OK... I didnt even KNOW you were having surgery... AND I didnt know you had this blog here... I'm so behind! :)

Take it easy recoverying... surgery of any kind is hard on a body! Praying for quick healing, & a strong push down that path of parenthood for both you & hubs!

Sending you hugs!!!

Charlotte said...

I have two laproscopic surgeries for my endometriosis and I feel your pain girlfriend!!! They are no fun, but all in the name of the journey to parenthood, I suppose, right?!?!? I pray that you start to feel better soon and that the meds help!! POP that Motrin girl for the soreness and I promise it will get better!!!!

Faith said...

So glad things went well and he feels like they were able to correct things. Sorry that the post-op was so rough though. Man, praying you are feeling much better today!

cooperkelly4 said...

praying for a quick recovery!

High Heeled Mama said...

So glad to hear that things went well and you came out of everything ok. I will keep you in my prayers and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Lauren said...

Lianna, I am praying for you and your husband during this journey and praying for a speedy recovery!!!!

Sandra Millsap said...

Lianna,
I've been checking your blog since yesterday afternoon to hear how you're doing. So glad the surgery is behind you and you now have some answers. You and David remain in my prayers! I am SO looking forward to hearing all about the pitter patter of a child's feet in your home!

I'm sorry you are in pain and had so much nausea. I've had 2 laparoscopic procedures myself. One was very difficult, much like yours. The worst part was the pain in my shoulders and neck...from the "air" they pump into your abdomen. It takes a bit for your body to absorb it and why the pain settles in your shoulders and neck is beyond me.

Anyway, praying for you! Speedy recovery, more answers about the tubes and for God to rise above any and all obstacles on your journey to parenthood!

Cling to Exodus 14:14!!!

Believing,
Sandra

Life Happens said...

I'm glad the surgery went well, aside from the post op pains. I hope you continue to heal and get better.

Praying for you both!!

Traci said...

So glad your surgery went well but sorry about the pain. Hopefully, you'll be feeling better soon. Keeping you in my prayers.

Justinand said...

I'll be praying for your quick recovery! Even though it isn't exactly what you wanted to hear, it means that problems are fixed and they won't cause you any problems in the future!!

Get better soon, Friend!

Meredith said...

This surgery sounds like it was very beneficial because it gave your doctor the opportunity to get a look at all your reproductive organs to get a clear diagnosis and let you know EXACTLY what you are dealing with! Removing the endo was also a good thing! I can not wait to hear about the details! You are getting closer and closer each day to mommy hood!

Unknown said...

Don't you just love having a husband that is able to find humor in anything? Clay is the exact same way and I wouldn't know what to do without him!!! So glad that ya'll were able to get some answers. I'm praying for you and David and your journey! Love ya girl!!!

AmberKoren said...

Glad to hear everything went fairly smooth. Wish you a speedy recovery and hopefully soon you will get some answers and start plannng the next step. I enjoy reading your blog and will continue to check in on you :)

Jessie said...

I am glad you got some answers. I am praying for your future little ones. I know He will reward your faithfulness and give you more than you can even imagine. :0)

sarah @ life {sweet} life said...

I am so glad you got some answers. I have no doubt the Lord is paving the way for great things to come. I am definitely agreeing with you in prayer! Wishing you a speedy recovery. :)

bella said...

Praying for your recovery. I went through infertility and several surgeries for 8 years but finally had 3 daughters, the first one via adoption. I'm sure you will be a mother but all in God's timing. I will keep you in my prayers.

Julee said...

I really hope you get to feeling better soon and that the surgery was a positive thing in your journey to parenthood!

Jill said...

New to your blog, but wanted you to know that I'm praying for you and your husband. I had the same surgery and after removing severe endo, one fallopian tube and one ovary - we were finally able to get pregnant through IVF. It wasn't an easy road, but so worth it in the end.

No doubt, God will bless you with the desires of your heart.

Love your blog.

Praying!! :)

Megan said...

I'm sorry you're in so much pain but thank God that your doctor found some things that he was able to correct. I know that you WILL be a mommy one day and I pray that that day is sooner rather than later!! Enjoy being pampered by your hub and mother-in-love (I love that that's what you call her)! =) (((HUGS)))

Lori said...

I hate the pain that accompanies recovery, but am glad that they were able to find things and do something about them!!! I pray that gives you some peace in moving forward...it's hard to go ahead with decisions when you have 'what ifs?' and 'what abouts?' that you wish you may have taken care of before.

Praying your recovery gets easier!

Perfectly Imperfect said...

Just stumbled upon this blog from your other one and wanted to let you know I was thinking about you. I think I knew you were battling all of this, but didn't know the extent. I had what sounds like the same surgery in April of '09. I've had 4 miscarriages, a bicoronate uterus, and endometriosis. After much, much treatment, and surgery (I agree- not fun), I finally got pregnant with my miracle child and gave birth in April. All this just to tell you to keep at it. God will bless you in His time. And all this will be so worth it.. Praying for you.

Melissa said...

you're always in our prayers girl! I hope that you recover and are feeling better soon! Take it easy!!!