Saturday, January 16, 2010

Focus on Being Thankful...

I had a really rough week, personally. I sent a message to my best friend and asked her to stop what she was doing and pray for me. Not only did she pray for me, but she sent me about 24 text messages FULL of praise and encouragement.


She is in a Bible Study right now that talked about thanking God for all the things we DO have. We need to focus on being thankful for what we have right now instead of focusing on what we DON'T have. The Lord knows the desires of our hearts...we've already presented those to Him, but instead praise Him for all the things we are thankful for.

I am thankful...

  • that I have a church that I adore.
  • for a marriage that is strong.
  • for a family that loves me unconditionally.
  • for the roof over my head.
  • for the clothes on my back.
  • for a job.
  • that I can get up in the morning and walk, see, and hear.
  • to have a nice car.
  • that I am able to afford electricity, gas, and groceries.
  • that I have determination and will to get up each morning and exercise.
  • that I am able to have the luxuries of cable, a DVR, and a cell phone.
  • for the friendships I have made through blogging.
  • for coworkers that love me and respect me.
  • that I have a college education.
  • for my dog and the way he makes me smile every single day.

This list could go on and on...



But what I liked about this focus the most, is I didn't realize how blessed I truly am. And I can't tell you how wonderful I felt after mentally listing ALL the things God has already done and is doing in my life.

"We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty, the One who is and
who was, because you have taken your great power and have begun to reign."~Revelation 11:17

7 comments:

waiting and wishing said...

Thanks for the reminder. It is true, so many of us have a lot to be thankful for. It is so easy to be distracted by the things we don't have, it is great to be reminded of all the blessing God has already given us.

Tickled Pink Mandy said...

this is so true- we all need to take a moment to think about all we DO have! :) thanks for sharing!

noahandlylasmommi said...

Great list! Glad it made you realize how blessed you are. I know sometimes I need a reminder too!

Laura Ann said...

Thank you for sharing your list, I am sorry that you had a bad week, but praise God with you that He gave you the ability to sit down and make that wonderful list. I need to sit down and make my Thankful list and that will help me to have a better attitude about the things we are going through. I pray God continues to guide you and surround you with His peace.

Daily laying it at the Master's feet!
Laura Ann

Heather said...

it's funny you post this tonight, because I was just about to post this same type of post on my blog!!!! Thank you for the reminder!

monelle said...

That is a great message! Thanks for sharing that!

Laura Ann said...

Praying that a better week is ahead for you Lianna. I am sorry you have struggled this past week, but please no we ALL have weeks like that when you just get down and don't know how to get back up.

Thank God you are able to realize all you have to be so THANKFUL for and an amazing friend to put things in perspective for you. We all need an accountability partner in life that can "keep it real" with us.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Always praying for you.