Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Making a HUGE Sacrifice...

I started my morning reading Angie's blog about the birthday of her sweet little angel Audrey. If you haven't read it yet, please visit this post first and then come back.

As you can imagine, this post literally broke my heart. I sat and cried for at least five minutes and had to wait to dry out before I could put my make-up on for the day.

I think what pains me the most about this post is that Audrey's birth (and death) were over a year ago today. But the hurt and sorrow Angie feels is still as fresh as ever.

I recently read Hannah's Hope...for those of you experiencing the journey of infertility, it is a MUST read. This is my question...how can someone that has waited so LONG to have a child, make the HUGE sacrifice of returning him back to the Lord? I re-read 1 Samuel 1:9-20 this morning to help me get a better grasp and answer this question.

In verse 11 Hannah makes this vow: "O Lord Almighty, if you will look down upon my sorrow and answer my prayer and give me a son, then I will give him back to you."

I realize that the day the Lord blesses us with a child, he/she will never truly be ours...but His. The memories we make, the milestones we celebrate with this baby will be small compared to the celebrations and triumphs he/she will experience in Heaven.

Although it is still HARD for me to even begin to fathom what Angie or Hannah experienced on the day their children were taken back to the Lord, I long to experience the time they WERE able to share with their children on this earth.

1 Samuel 1:19-20 says "...the Lord remembered her request, and in due time she gave birth to a son. She named him Samuel, for she said, I asked the Lord for him."




3 comments:

The Coach's Wife said...

Very well said! The child we long so desperatly for will never truly be ours- he/she is God's alone- we are just "babysitting" for a while :-) Can't wait to be babysitting someday!

Justinand said...

I just finished reading Angie's blog when I clicked over to yours. I still have tears rolling down my cheeks. Your words are a reminder--the days that I miss Jonathan so much, I have to remember that the Lord just shared him with me for a little while. What a blessed woman I am to have gotten this time. We even have the verse you quoted on his headstone as our reminder of where he is now.
I will continue praying for you, Lianna, that you too will get to experience sharing a child with the Lord, and I pray, getting the blessing of sharing them for a lifetime.

Karen said...

I just randomly tripped over your blog tonight, and I stopped and prayed and asked my Jesus to bless you with a baby of your own to love, and very soon. God bless you.