Monday, March 5, 2012

And the Results are In...

I went to my appointment today with the hematologist and I walked out of his office in a state of shock. I am so confused by the results he gave us today. David and I plan to talk today and take a few days to think about how we want to proceed. We both have mixed and confused emotions.

Here are the results...

I originally was diagnosed as having a Folic Acid deficiency. So I started taking a Folic Acid supplement on top of the prenatal vitamins. When the hematologist checked for this in my bloodwork, he didn't see the deficiency. This could be a result of me already taking the Folic Acid supplement. This is good news, well at least I think it is.

Our fertility doctor also diagnosed me as having APLS. You can read about this on my post HERE if you missed it. Although I wasn't thrilled that I was diagnosed with APLS, I felt it was a good thing to at least have an answer. Well the hematologist shared that I in fact do NOT have APLS. He said that my blood levels did not show this and that he doesn't think that I have it. When I was originally diagnosed, the doctor shared with me that the threshold for APLS ranged from a level 16-40 and mine was 19...barely over the minimium. This time when the hematologist tested my blood, I was not over 16. This is NOT good news. Well...I guess it is good that I don't have APLS, but that still leaves us with not knowing what is causing the pregnancy loss.

My hematologist did recommend that I take Heparin shots and baby aspirin a week before transfer, if we decided to do IVF again. And to continue with the Heparin throughout the pregnancy.

So long story short...the results are in, but we aren't quite sure what to do with the results yet.

Please pray for us!!!

9 comments:

Sonya said...

Praying for you! It can't be easy when you don't get any answer.

Life Happens said...

I had to do Love.nox shots (I think it's similiar to Hepa.rin - both a blood thinner) during my IVF and into pregnancy (I had recurring miscarriages too with no answer as to why). To this day, I think that's what helped me with my pregnancy (and my faith of course). Will keep you in my prayers.

Bld424 said...

I have the folic acid deficiency - MTHFR -and after 2 miscarriages found this out - needed mega doses of F.A. and lots of screenings to make sure baby formed well. I have two healthy babies now, after a few years of miscarriage misery.

I am empathetic towards you, and I do pray for you. I hope there is a good solution for you - that nursery needs a baby! And you are an inspirational blogger.

Lauren said...

praying for you. please keep us posted!

Megan said...

Oh man! That's got to be so frustrating to kind of be back and square one in the fact that now you don't really know what's going on. *sigh* I'm sorry you didn't get any more clear answers or direction with this appointment. :( I'll be praying for wisdom in what to do next. (((HUGS)))

bella said...

I can see this would leave you confused. I'm keeping you in my prayers. I just know you will be a mother one day.

Heather said...

Bless your heart! I know none of this is easy and it just wears on you making one hard decision after another- praying for you!!

Rebecca Jo said...

You are such a fighter... always praying for you on this journey

Britney said...

Over our long journey of IF, we have received SOOOO many mixed results. One dr thinks we have an egg shortage; another dr thinks that is bogus; one time my DH's sperm sample is not great; next time it is stellar. Now we have 2 beautiful children, one through domestic adoption and one through embryo adoption. What is the point of all this? GOD IS BIGGER THAN ANY DIAGNOSIS FROM ANY DOCTOR!

Thinking of you.